LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Reading progress update: I've listened 309 out of 652 minutes.

The Fold - Peter Clines, Ray Porter

Every time things go wrong for these people, I have more fun. Now they may be

unable to close the Door.

(show spoiler)

So far, I consider 14 to be the better book, because part of the fun there was that a supposedly normal place, an apartment building, was gradually revealed to be very strange. Here, "strange" is technically normal - the Door is designed to help people travel great distances in only a single step. The main problem is that it doesn't always work as advertised. It's been frustrating to me (and to Mike, the main character) that the scientists involved don't seem to be too concerned with figuring out the exact reasons why the Door doesn't always work the way it should. I mean, if planes worked 99% of the time, but 1% of the time they either refused to move or got into the air just fine but then dropped out of the sky (I don't actually know how often planes malfunction, so I'm making percentages up), people would probably be pretty unhappy if no one was interested in figuring out the reasons behind the issues in the 1% portion.