LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 206 out of 206 pages.

Only the Ring Finger Knows: The Lonely Ring Finger - Hotaru Odagiri, Satoru Kannagi

Finished! I'm going to guess that there was a combination of bad writing and bad translation at play here. Some of the word choices were just plain weird, and near the end I just gave up and skimmed the text for the general meaning. And even that was occasionally hard. That last scene in Toko's jewelry shop was kind of confusing.

The "raw cake batter" bit was my favorite horrible word choice, but here are a few others, just for fun:

"'Wataru, your brain must be really puny. How many times do I have to tell you? It had nothing to do with you,' Yuichi said in a cold voice as he grabbed Wataru's small head with his long fingers." (79)

The author apparently has a thing for guys with small heads, because both Wataru and Yuichi were described that way.

"Feebly, Wataru let out a bitter smile, turning his thoughts to the departed Yuichi." (155)

I can't recall ever reading anything where a character "let out a bitter smile." "Let out a bitter laugh," yes, but not smile.

"His eyes were engorged with passion, but with that single utterance Yuichi stopped everything that he was doing." (167)

I can't help it, this makes me think of those toys with the eyeballs that pop out when you squeeze them.

"Yuichi seemed so shocked, his voice almost flipped with panic." (188)

What does that even mean?