LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Princess Prince
Progress: 91/806 minutes
The Kneebone Boy
Ellen Potter
Progress: 62/280 pages

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (manga, vol. 3) by Izumi Tsubaki, translated by Leighann Harvey

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Vol. 3 - Izumi Tsubaki

Nozaki's editor has a high school class reunion to attend, Wakamatsu inexplicably starts dating Seo (sort of), Kashima tries to learn to sing for Hori (the president of the school's drama club), we get to see a bit of Miyako in college (one of her classmates mistakenly thinks she's dating Nozaki), and Nozaki continues to try really hard to find inspiration for his manga.

Is it just me, or does Nozaki seem to be kind of bad at his job? He seems to be completely lacking in creativity – he can't come up with new storylines unless the real people on which he based his characters go through those experiences first. Also, he can't draw backgrounds and sometimes has problems drawing his own characters. Well, whatever, it made for some great humor. I loved the increasingly detailed set Hori and Mikoshiba created for Nozaki, and I laughed at Nozaki's completely self-serving support of the idea of Wakamatsu dating Seo. Valentine's Day was fun too.

My absolute favorite manga-related bit of humor was the part about Wakamatsu's adventures in learning the numbers for the different screentones. Since he had problems remembering them, he came up with his own names, and Nozaki tried to humor him. The results were hilarious.

I'm definitely going to continue reading this series.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)