Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Progress: 89/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

The Attack on Titan movie is indeed terrible

I haven't been able to get onto Booklikes since this morning. Now that I've finished watching the travesty that was the first live action Attack on Titan movie, Booklikes is finally back up for me. I figured it's a sign I should write a brief gripe post.

So, the Attack on Titan movie. It's horrible. So bad. Here's a list:

- Horrible special effects.

- The smaller titans, which I thought were disturbing at first, became laughable later on. Maybe they were overused, or not used effectively? I don't know.

- So many changes to the original story and characters, and not for the better.

- NO LEVI. Levi was one of my top two favorite characters in the series. Instead we got a slimy Levi-wannabe jerk.

- Pretty much everyone's backstories were ditched. As an example, all viewers were shown about Eren and Mikasa's relationship was that they probably liked each other but Eren was too loud and grouchy to do much more than give her a scarf when she was cold. All that stuff about Eren saving Mikasa from slavers, and the way that incident inspired her undying loyalty to Eren, was gone. Maybe it'll come up in the second movie, but I don't plan on watching that.

- Humanity was even more doomed in this movie than it was in the original series. Sure, let's send humanity's last hope, a bunch of rejects, out into titan-infested lands with omni-directional maneuvering gear hardly anyone had much experience using. The plan: fill in a hole in the wall by bombing the part of the wall above the hole. Sure, if it works that area of the wall will be shorter, but still tall enough to keep titans out. Except, you know, for the titan who made the hole in the first place.

- All the female characters were girlfriends/potential girlfriends (Lil, Hiana), objects to be won (Mikasa), or jokes (Sasha, Hans). And they were always the ones who rushed after the crying babies.

- What was with that baby titan? How can a baby titan even exist?

I could go on, but I should probably channel this disgust into a full review.