Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Nine Princes in Amber: The Chronicles of Amber, Book 1
Progress: 89/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Games: The Witness and Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble

[This post has nothing to do with books.]

I picked up the Humble Freedom Bundle while it was being offered and only just now got around to trying a couple of the games (okay fine, I'm procrastinating on my library checkout reading).

The Witness is a first-person adventure game that reminds me a little of the Myst games. You walk around in an apparently deserted world, solving cryptic puzzles as you come across them. The puzzles range from incredibly simple to "I have no idea what I'm doing or why I'm doing it." I haven't gotten very far into it yet, because of the game's biggest failing: holy crap does it make me nauseous. I did some checking, and apparently I'm not the only one (although it seems to be hitting me faster than a lot of other players with similar issues). There are some settings that are supposed to help with that, but either I didn't fiddle with the right things or they didn't help me much. It looks like I can only get about 20-30 minutes of semi-comfortable playing time.

After that, I gave Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble a try. You start off with one player, your "queen." You then find her a gang of three other girls and go around investigating mysterious happenings, facing off against bullies and grouchy teachers, and more. Every encounter is a mini-game: Taunt, Flirt, Fib, and Expose (as in, Exposing Secrets). There's also apparently a Gambit mini-game, but I don't think I've encountered that yet. So far, I am absolutely terrible at Flirting and Fibbing and feel iffy about Taunting, but I enjoy Exposing Secrets. I picked up some boyfriends for a couple of the girls in my gang, because apparently boyfriends will sacrifice themselves to save their girlfriends if a particularly important mini-game goes bad. I guess I'll see how that works out.

The humor and dialogue doesn't always work for me, but so far Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble is proving to be very addictive. (But not Stardew Valley-level addictive, or I wouldn't have managed to tear myself away yet.)

ETA - Here, have an out-of-context snippet from DHSGiT: