LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Fuzzy Nation
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 174 out of 426 pages.

The Mystic Marriage - Heather Rose Jones

For some reason, both this book and Daughter of Mystery have me mentally comparing at least one character to "types" in anime. It's weird, because it isn't like I've even been watching much anime lately - just Haikyu!! a few weeks ago and yet another rewatch of Big Windup! (which seems to have become my #1 comfort anime for this year).

In Daughter of Mystery, Barbara was the "cool girl" type you sometimes see in high school comedies, the one that at least one of the other female characters has a crush on. I kept thinking of Azumanga Daioh's Sakaki, or at least the Sakaki that Kaorin saw.

In The Mystic Marriage, Jeanne is the enormous flirt who looks all light and sparkly on the surface but is secretly vulnerable underneath. Maybe Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club, except he's kind of an idiot and Jeanne definitely isn't.