LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Alliance In Blood
Ariel Tachna
Progress: 4/210 pages
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Visual novel time

[Not strictly a book post, but these things tend to be more story than game, so I kind of think they count.]

I seem to be on a visual novel kick at the moment. If you're not sure what those are, many of them are basically choose-your-own-adventure style stories in video game format. A lot of them are romances, although they don't necessarily have to be. Most of the ones in my collection are, though.

The one I spent a good chunk of my weekend on (received via a Humble Bundle):

I plan on writing a full review once I've gotten through more of the routes (or all of them? we'll see how long my attention span lasts). This one's basically a college story, with classes, part-time work, other activities (a Halloween party with a mystery theme, for example), friendships, and the chance for romance. And hey, in addition to the usual heterosexual options, you can have a female protagonist dating a woman (who's pansexual) or a male protagonist dating a guy (who's bisexual).

So far I've played Anne (the girl with the braids) and have managed the "meh," "good," and "best" routes for Dominic (the blond guy). I'm still debating which route to try next. Dominic's took about 6 hours total, but now that I've properly figured out the game mechanics (stat-building *shudder*) I should be able to finish others faster.

After Roommates I'd like to try Backstage Pass, which supposedly has an asexual character as a romantic option. And maybe I'll finally finish up Hatoful Boyfriend, the post-apocalyptic pigeon-dating one.