LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Terminator, With Love
Progress: 179/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Unexpected produce

(I am not a creative cook at all. It's nerve-wracking for me not to follow a recipe as exactly as possible, so everything in this post is out of character for me. But it worked out! And my apartment currently smells amazing!)

I ended up with a cheap pile of unexpected produce yesterday. Zucchini, tiny onions, yellow squash, cucumbers. I had no clue what I was going to do with any of it, but I figured I'd come up with something.

Today's efforts included a cucumber salad based on something similar to this recipe (I can't find the actual one I used, unfortunately): The Spruce's German Cucumber-Dill Salad. With a bit of fiddling and what I had on hand, the ingredients list ended up looking something like this:

2 Tbsp white vinegar

1/4 cup water

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp dried dill weed

sugar, to taste (the original recipe called for 1/3 cup, which I cut way back on)

black pepper, to taste

2 thinly sliced cucumbers

Then I used a zucchini and a couple of the onions up with a recipe based on the Zucchini and Eggs recipe here. I added onion to the recipe and exchanged minced garlic for garlic powder, but otherwise I followed it fairly closely.

Sadly, I don't have pictures of any of this, but it all turned out pretty good. The best was the Zucchini and Eggs. I think I have enough zucchini and onion left over to do about the same thing tomorrow.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the yellow squash. I might stick with the Zucchini and Eggs recipe and see how it does with yellow squash instead of zucchini, although by this point I'll be out of onions.