LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Authority: A Novel
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Arisa (manga, vol. 2) by Natsumi Ando, translated by Andria Cheng

Arisa, Vol. 2 - Natsumi Ando

Tsubasa thinks Akira is the King, but she turns out to be wrong:

the original King was actually Arisa, Tsubasa's twin sister. Tsubasa feels confused and helpless but springs back into action when the current evil King threatens her sister. Readers know that the current real King is Mariko, Arisa's best friend, but Tsubasa and Akira don't know that. Akira learns Tsubasa's true identity (remember, she's currently pretending to be Arisa) and agrees to help her find out the identity of the current King.

(show spoiler)

Dang this series went downhill fast. No real suspense because

readers have been told that Mariko is the King, and so it's just a matter of waiting for Tsubasa to catch up and protect her sister in the meantime. It feels a bit melodramatic too.

I'm iffy about the revelation that Arisa was the original King. King Time was once a nice thing she did for her fellow classmates, but if I'm understanding this right, at least one of the "nice" things she did would have been an academic integrity violation. I mean, couldn't she just have started a study group that all her classmates were invited to attend?

(show spoiler)

And one thing that took me out of the story: the desktop folder with no name. I'm not sure that's even possible. It would have made more sense for it to have some kind of generic name, rather than no name at all.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)