LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Wild Robot
Kendare Blake
Progress: 176/316 pages

Tokyo Ghoul (manga, vol. 4) by Sui Ishida, translated by Joe Yamazaki

Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 4 - Sui Ishida

We get a glimpse of Touka's school life. As anti-human as she has previously seemed, it turns out that she actually really values her best human friend, to the point of regularly choking down the food her friend makes for her. Kaneki visits Hinami at Touka's place, learns more about how to fight, and meets up with Yomo, Uta, and their friend Itori (the owner of a bar called Helter Skelter). Itori wants to know more about a special ghoul restaurant, so she offers to exchange info about

the person who killed Rize - it turns out that Rize's death was not an accident like Kaneki had previously thought. In order to learn about the restaurant, Kaneki has to get closer to Shu Tsukiyama, nicknamed the Gourmet. Unfortunately, he is soon betrayed. Instead of taking him to the restaurant as a guest, Tsukiyama brings him there as an exciting new entree.

(show spoiler)

I wish these volumes came with translator's note and/or a bit more information about the world terminology. So far words like "quinque" and "kagune" have been thrown about with little explanation. In the previous volume, Mado's last words were something to the effect that he wanted to bury the "Sekigan" with his own two hands. In this volume, the translator opted to translate "Sekigan" as "one-eyed king." Why not translate it this way in the previous volume as well, or include a brief note?

We see more of Nishiki in this volume (who, since I took crappy notes, has not been mentioned in my summaries at all - I'm not even entirely sure I have his name right). He

hasn't been doing too well since he was injured. Kaneki saves him and learns that he has a human girlfriend who knows he's a ghoul and doesn't seem to mind.

(show spoiler)

I suspect that this will end badly.

Kaneki is kind of dumb. He knows that Tsukiyama is a flashy killer, and yet he's still drawn in. I wouldn't be surprised if

Tsukiyama manages to trick him again.

(show spoiler)

Again, this series continues to throw characters at me that I don't really like and don't necessarily care to see more of. Part of me is still tempted to get the anime, to see if aspects of the series go over better in that format, and part of me is just not into this series enough for that.

One thing that surprised me: apparently this series is digitally illustrated, and Ishida only has one assistant.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)