LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Stardew Valley Guidebook, 2nd Edition
Tomoko Taniguchi
Progress: 310/336 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Mass DNFing, for now (or in some cases forever)

My "Currently Reading" shelf is ridiculous and has no real meaning at the moment. I need to clear some stuff off it. So here I go:

Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars - Nathalia Holt,Erin Bennett,Hachette Audio - I got a little over halfway through this before my long break from work started, and my checkout expired. The topic was interesting, but the way the author wrote about it often annoyed me, so I think I'm just going to DNF it.

Who? - Algis Budrys - I added this to my "Currently Reading" shelf during my vacation back in November, got a few pages into it, and promptly forgot about it. I picked it up as a Kindle freebie. The basics as I remember them (so probably a lot of incorrect details): the US gets a prisoner of war back from the sci-fi Soviets, except he had a medical procedure performed on him that resulted in his head being replaced with featureless metal. Is he really who everyone says he is, or is he actually a spy? I don't really know that it's bad, I'm just not in the mood.

To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last - Connie Willis,Recorded Books LLC,Steven Crossley - I read a paper copy years ago and this was going to be my first time listening to the audiobook. Again, not really in the mood. When I get back to it, I'll start it from the beginning.

The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality - Julie Sondra Decker - Another one I started in 2017 and barely touched before going on to other things. When I get back to it, I'll start from the beginning.

The Mystic Marriage - Heather Rose Jones - I'm just mad at myself for this one. I read almost all of it in the space of a weekend and got within a hundred pages of finishing. Then I was distracted by other things (maybe the Booklikes Bingo game?) and never got back to it. It's now been long enough that I could probably remember what happened, but the emotional threads that carried me through so much of the book so quickly are lost. I think it'd probably be best to start from the beginning and reread or at least skim the earlier stuff. I don't know when that's going to happen, so it's coming off my "currently reading" list.

Ichi-F: A Worker's Graphic Memoir of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant - Kazuto Tatsuta - Another "I got distracted." I just need to restart this one.

Fluency - Jennifer Foehner Wells - This was free for Amazon Prime members for a while. I started it because I liked the idea of first-contact sci-fi starring a linguist heroine. Unfortunately, I hated the romance the author shoehorned into the book. If I remember right, all the guy could focus on was that the heroine was pretty and had boobs, and I was disgusted to realize that he was going to be her love interest and not the guy she eventually satisfyingly shot down.