LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Authority: A Novel
Rowyn Ashby
Progress: 89/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Reading progress update: I've read 236 out of 336 pages.

Princess Prince - Tomoko Taniguchi

Guessing on the page number.

This turns out to be a collection of short but mostly related stories. So far it has touched on issues of gender, sexuality, and racism, but all in a superficial way. Brandon loving Matthew is just an ongoing joke, it looks like Lawrence's secret love for Jenny is never going to be resolved, and I cringed during the part where Matthew fell in love with Janice, a girl with dark skin. Janice

came to the kingdom of Gemstone hoping to bathe in water that would lighten her skin and thereby make her beautiful. D-:  Matthew and Janice's romance doesn't work out because Gemstone turns out to be horribly racist, so Janice leaves to find her mother's people.

(show spoiler)

Oh, and Matthew and Lawrence's father is gross. He's forgotten that he's the one who ordered Lawrence to be raised as Lori. His wife died in childbirth, so he picked the baby that looked most like her and had him raised as a girl. Now he dresses "Lori" up to look just like his wife, and I'm so creeped out.