LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Authority: A Novel
Rowyn Ashby
Progress: 89/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

From Dead to Worse (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 8)

From Dead to Worse - Charlaine Harris This is the 8th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, and Charlaine Harris uses it to tie up (or at least partially tie up) loose ends from several prior books. Although Harris starts the book off with a quick reminder of where the 7th book left off, it is definitely not advisable to start the series with this book - you'll be miserably lost.Despite being a telepathic barmaid, Sookie often seems very normal and out-of-place in the dangerous world of vampires, shapeshifters, and fairies. She tends to be nice to a fault, which means that a lot of her problems are the result of continuing to deal with people who don't treat her nearly as nicely in return. In fact, although I like Sookie enough that she's one of the main reasons I read this series, she's so nice that I could see someone hating her and this series just for that reason.Although there are no romantic scenes in this book, unless you count the tension between Sookie and Eric (a Viking vampire) and her cheating vampire ex-boyfriend Bill's attempts to rekindle some kind of friendly relationship with her, many of Sookie's relationships get further developed (or even just started). I loved finding out more about Sookie's family, and I can't wait to read more about the new people introduced in this book. Vampires and werewolves show up, there's fighting (which Sookie, not being a fighter, is lucky to survive, especially without needing a trip to the hospital), and Sookie uses her gift, sometimes more casually than she once did but not nearly as often as she used to.My biggest complaint about the book was that there were so many climactic-feeling battles that it felt like the ending was late in coming. However, the last two pages made up for that, at least in my opinion.(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)