LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Red Book of Primrose House: A Potting Shed Mystery
Marty Wingate
A Likely Story (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Jenn McKinlay
Tomoko Taniguchi
Progress: 310/336 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Reading progress update: I've read 118 out of 216 pages.

To Siri with Love: A Mother, Her Autistic Son, and the Kindness of Machines - Judith Newman

I've made it to that part, the one where she talks about her desire to sterilize her son.

"How do you say 'I'm sterilizing my son' without sounding like a eugenicist?" (116)

Part of her realizes that the answer is "you don't," because the next page and a half is all about eugenics. But here's what she ends up settling on:

"But wherever you stand on this question, when you start considering how the history of disability is inextricably intertwined with the history of euthanizing and enforced sterilization, you come away unsettled. I began to question my certainty that Gus should never have kids. There is a good success rate in vasectomy reversals, and surely there will be even easier, more reversible methods for men soon. And when there are, I'm going to be the first in line to sign him up. Kids at twenty or twenty-five? No. Thirty-five? I can hope." (117-118)

So, a forced vasectomy is still definitely on the table, but it's okay because it'll be reversible. D-: