LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Patient Zero
Tomoko Taniguchi
Progress: 310/336 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

The Haunting of Hill House, episode 1 (spoiler-free)

It's...not necessarily bad when taken on its own (reminder: I'm a horror wimp, so I consider myself to be a bad judge of scariness, since it doesn't take much to scare me). As an adaptation, though, I'm wondering what the writer was thinking.

It stars a house-flipping couple and their family and takes place mostly within a couple time periods. Some scenes are flashbacks to when the whole family lived in Hill House, while other scenes are later, after everyone has grown up and drifted apart.

The characters:

- Hugh Crain, the husband

- Olivia, the wife

- Shirley, one of the daughters (In the present she's a funeral home director or something, but I haven't yet caught on to which of the older girls is which in the scenes set in the past)

- Theo, another one of the daughters (in the present she's either a lesbian or bisexual, wears gloves, and has lots of one-night stands)

- Steven, the eldest son (in the present, he visits the sites of supposed hauntings, debunks them, and then writes "non-fiction" books about the hauntings as though he truly saw ghosts)

- Luke, the youngest son (saw some creepy girl in the woods when he was a kid, and in the present he's an addict)

- Nell, the youngest daughter (suffered from what her parents thought were vivid nightmares while she lived in Hill House, always about the "Bent-Neck Woman," and still seems to have anxiety and other issues in the present)

- The Dudleys, the caretakers of Hill House. Mrs. Dudley is stern and religious.

You can see some of the bits and pieces that were taken from the original in the character list alone. There are also a few lines in the show that are taken directly from the book, but with a few extra lines added in between and/or the context changed. The writer also definitely has different ideas about how the scares should be handled. Lots of jump scares. I think the writer liked the hallway door banging scenes in The Haunting of Hill House and felt that the TV series should just get right to that stuff, ASAP.