LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Garden Plot
Progress: 310/336 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

The Haunting of Hill House, Episodes 2-4

I wish this weren't an adaptation. The lines that are taken straight out of the book, but with a different context, are distracting. That said, it's growing on me. Although I wish it would stop it with the jump scares.

So far, each episode is concentrating on a different member of the family, which makes me wonder what's going to happen once the series runs out of family members to focus on. I feel like the first two episodes were the roughest, although part of that may have been due to the fact that I didn't like the primary siblings in those episodes as much.

Episode 1 was Steven, the eldest brother who turned his family's experiences into a book, with some embellishments that piss several of his siblings off. I know he needs to make money, but I cringed hard at the way things turned out with the woman whose husband died.

Episode 2 was Shirley, the funeral director. She and Steven are my least favorite Crain siblings so far. Some of it I get - Shirley has held the role of the "responsible and steady one" for years, and she's tired of the responsibility. FYI, this episode includes animal deaths. I could see them coming from a mile away and was still sad. The aspects of this episode dealing with the boy who didn't want to go to his grandma's viewing pissed me off. I was once that little boy, and being forced to look at my grandmother in her casket was a hideous experience I wish I'd been allowed to skip.

Episode 3 was Theo, whose personal life consists of one-night stands. She wears gloves because she is, from what I can tell, an empath. In the present, she generally only uses her abilities at work - she's a therapist for traumatized children. For the most part, I really liked this episode, although the entire dumbwaiter/basement portion of the episode struck me as massively stupid on everyone's part. Yes, I know, they were kids and kids do stupid things. But still.

Episode 4 was Luke, who, as it turns out, is Nell's twin. I had thought they were just really close in age. Theo is probably my top favorite of the siblings so far, followed by Luke. Kid Luke is adorable. I assume the series will get back to him later on, because this episode barely touched on the little girl who may or may not exist and who Luke befriended when he was a kid.