LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Mystic Marriage
Progress: 101/277 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga)

The Vor Game - Lois McMaster Bujold Although I took a break while reading this in order to gorge on movies and TV, I really did enjoy it at least as much as [b:The Warrior's Apprentice|61906|The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga #3)|Lois McMaster Bujold|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1170597854s/61906.jpg|2792]. Miles was a bit more grown-up in this one, and had a better idea of just how much trouble he could get himself into.The story was a little exhausting, it moved so fast. I started off thinking that the entire book would take place on Kyril Island, with Miles learning how to do his new job, attempting to figure out the secret to convincing less-intelligent soldiers to follow you rather than work against you, and trying to keep his commanding officer from making his life miserable. The stuff on Kyril Island was fantastic, and I admit to being a little disappointed that Miles wasn't there longer. I would have liked to see more of him learning to work with regular soldiers, on their level, without a bodyguard and his status as Vor as safety nets. Plus, I enjoyed the dangerous environment.Miles tried to do as he was told, but the situation kept changing, getting out of control, and basically making it impossible for him obey his original orders without someone dying. Although I wasn't always able to follow the larger conflicts very well and got completely lost during the final space battle, I was able to follow the series of events that propelled Miles through the story just fine. It was exciting to see Miles take on his Admiral Naismith identity again, and it was nice to see how things had changed among the Dendarii Mercenaries. I'll be curious to see whether Miles stops thinking of Elena all the time in later books, now that he's gotten a chance to see her again and realizes that she's very different from the girl he once loved. In this book, she felt less like someone playing at being tough, and more like someone who was actually tough. She also seemed to have a more jaded (but still, I think, positive) opinion of Miles.I could imagine Cavilo making another appearance in the series, although she might be too greedy and self-serving to ever morph into someone Miles could call an ally. She was a twisty opponent who was so fascinating to watch in action that it wasn't until I finished the book that I realized I hardly knew anything about her as a person. What sort of life had she led, prior to the events of this book? She was clearly used to using her looks, to people seeing her beauty and small stature and underestimating her razor sharp mind.All in all, I'm still loving this series and looking forward to reading the rest of the books, all of which I now own. While I can't wait to read more about Miles, I think I'll jump back in time and read the books about his parents first – Bujold keeps referencing events prior to Miles' birth, and not knowing all the details bothers me.(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)