LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Blue Sword
Recorded Books LLC, Diane Warren, Robin McKinley
Progress: 73/735 minutes
Daughter of Mystery
Heather Rose Jones
Progress: 251/399 pages
50 Girls 50 and Other Stories
Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, Gary Groth
Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)

The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1) - Frank Tuttle According to this page, this is the first story in Frank Tuttle's Markhat series. I became aware of this series when one of Tuttle's works (The Broken Bell?) popped up on Samhain's new releases page and set off my "ooh pretty" reaction. The excerpt sounded good and reminded me a little of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I passed it by when I noticed that it was a later book in a series that sounded like it might need to be read in order, although I did add Tuttle's books to my ARe wishlist. When a good sale came up, I took a chance and bought the whole series. Some, like this story, weren't available through ARe, so I ended up buying this direct through Samhain.I was right when I said that this series seemed very much like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. There's a similar level of snark, both series star a private eye who is resourceful but in over his head, and both series have a lot of fantasy elements. I'm not sure if Markhat has any magical abilities, but so far the answer seems to be “no.” However, he knows at least one person who can give him a bit of magical help.I found this particular story to be way too short – I wanted to know more about Markhat and his world – but there was enough there for me to be glad that I already own the rest of the series, or at least what's been published so far. This story doesn't reveal much about Markhat other than that he has no family and apparently very few friends and that he fought in the war that took place between the Trolls and the humans. The interesting part, to me, was that, although the vampires fought for the humans during the war, in this story it was the Trolls who were Markhat's allies, while the vampires were the ones he had to be most wary of. The Trolls, while a bit freaky, were still the more trustworthy beings.The story was fairly simple (a good thing, considering how short it was), but interesting. Considering how it ended, I'm hoping that the Trolls pop up in one of the later books/stories. Markhat seems to be one of those characters who is probably perpetually short on funds but rich in not-quite-comfortable alliances. I love characters like that. Unfortunately, Samhain charges rather a lot for its short works – this story sells for $2.50 and, like I said, isn't available via ARe, so you can't count on a future sale there to reduce the price. However, it's a good story, and I don't feel that the money I spent was a waste. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series and will hopefully be able to give my input on how easy it would be for a newbie to start with one of the later works.(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)