LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Mystic Marriage
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

Moon Over Soho - Ben Aaronovitch

I loved the first book in this series, Midnight Riot, so I decided to read this one too. Sadly, I didn't like it quite as much as the first.

Peter's “voice” was still a lot of fun. I loved all the little snarky details, and I liked the scientific approach he took towards magic. I enjoyed the brief appearance of Ash, the river god exchanged for Beverley in the previous book, much more than I thought I would, and I loved how Aaronovich was able to turn London into a character in its own right. I love Molly enough that I hope she at least gets to have a storyline in a future book devoted to her. However, the mystery aspects made less of an impact than they did in the first book, and the stupidity level was unusually high.

As with the first book, I found that I was more interested in Peter and his thoughts than I was in the mysteries themselves. Unfortunately, Peter's handling of things in this book was extremely bad. First off, all the victims in his primary case were jazz musicians. So, did he worry when his father suddenly started preparing to play jazz music again? No. In fact, he arranged for his father to play in front of an audience with some of the former band members of one of the victims in his current case. Second, he began sleeping with the girlfriend of one of the victims. It didn't occur to him until a good deal later that it was odd that she had already stopped mourning her boyfriend, and it didn't occur to him that it might not be a good idea to sleep with someone so closely connected to his case. Third, although Peter helped arrange the agreement between Mother and Father Thames in the previous book, he didn't once give a thought to the possible consequences of putting Ash in a potentially dangerous situation. The number of times Peter did stupid things really bothered me.

The jazz musician case was low key enough that I couldn't seem to drum up much enthusiasm for it. The vagina dentata case had a lot more action (and gore), but it wasn't really the primary focus. When things started to come together near the end, I had trouble following and remembering all the threads that connected everything.

Overall, I still enjoy this series (and you can bet I'm looking forward to the future TV series). I can't wait to see where things go with Leslie, who wasn't physically present during most of this book, but who pulled a huge surprise out of thin air in the last couple pages (I'm still wondering how she managed what she did, and who taught her). However, I hope the next book is better than this one.

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)