LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Daughter of Mystery
Heather Rose Jones
Progress: 251/399 pages
50 Girls 50 and Other Stories
Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, Gary Groth
Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes
The Loop - Shandy Lawson I had problems with this book's premise right from the start. I tried to ignore them and just enjoy the ride, but it was hard – my brain kept interrupting with questions that the book never satisfactorily answered. For example, since Steve's loop lasts less than a month, what happens to him after that time is up? Does he die at the end of his loop, the way Maggie and Benjamin did? If not, then how could he continue to exist past the end of his loop? If he did die at the end of his loop, how could he ever manage to break it? Unless every single individual who has ever gotten stuck in a loop has created multiple parallel timelines or something? Just trying to figure out the logic of the loops makes my brain hurt.There were other problems with the whole “loop” concept. Supposedly, Maggie had previously gone through four other loops. When she first brought it up, I assumed she meant that she had gone through her and Benjamin's loop four times, but her statement was later clarified to mean that she had actually gone through four other separate loops. Had I been Benjamin, my first question would have been “How did you get out of them?” but he never even tried asking that. Both he and Maggie just assumed that they'd break out of their loop if they managed not to be killed by Roy. I thought that was a pretty big assumption.Most everything they knew about loops they learned from Steve. I couldn't fathom why they'd trust a thing he said about “bending Fate” and breaking out of their loop when he had never been able to break out of his own loop. That's like asking a guy who'd gotten into a bunch of accidents and earned lots of traffic tickets to teach you how to drive. Maggie should have been a better source of information, but, like I said, Benjamin never even bothered to ask her how she got out of her four other loops, and she never volunteered any information.This was very much a plot-driven book. Readers were given bare-bones information about Benjamin and Maggie, and that was pretty much it - most of the book was about Maggie and Benjamin trying to keep away from Shreveport while "Fate" kept throwing a bunch of things in their way (every road away from Shreveport is blocked by accidents or knocked down trees! money for bus fare just happens to be right where they can find it!) to get them back on track for their fatal meeting with Roy. There was no explanation for Benjamin's love for Maggie, and her love for him, beyond “they knew each other really well after all those repetitions together.” Most of the book was written in the first person, from Benjamin's POV. In chapter 30, it switched to first person from Maggie's POV and, sadly, it was hard to tell the difference between her “voice” and Benjamin's.All in all, The Loop's fairly fast pace and short length made it a quick read, but I was left feeling unsatisfied and frustrated. The characters weren't interesting enough to make up for the flaws in the premise and the story, and the ending seemed way too easy.(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)