LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Dinosaur Lords: A Novel
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages
The Hanging Road - William W. Johnstone One thing this book had going for it is that the characters were appealing, if not, to my mind, too memorable. Matt, Sam, Bo, and Scratch are all nice guys. Matt and Sam were occasionally interesting, and I might decide it's worth it to try out one of the earlier books in the series. Who knows, maybe this book just suffered from the "this series should have died out several books ago" syndrome. The earlier books might be more enjoyable.Some things I hated: guns "speaking" and "roaring" and "barking", excessive use of the word "hombres", and Matt and Sam having the "[choose a characteristic or ability, like speed, agility, or grace] of youth." As far as that last one goes, all that did was make the author seem old, since I don't think a younger author would have thought to use those particular words. I think I remember hearing that a lot of readers of Westerns are older men, though, so maybe this kind of wording would work better for them than it does for me (female and under 30).Things that struck me: Sam is half Indian, but that rarely seems to matter beyond the occasional Indian-hating character, and the author made no attempt to have Matt and Sam seduce anyone (or let anyone seduce them - one of Charity's girls tried).One last thought - this book made me think "romance for men", because this author, like some romance authors, seemed to make Matt and Sam into the kind of men he wishes he was (or that he thinks he was in his youth) - handsome, good fighters, good guys, lithe, good with women. I wonder, if I read more fast-paced Westerns like this, would I continue to see parallels between this genre and the romance genre?(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)