LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes
Nine-To-Five Bride - Jennie Adams I might have liked this book more if it hadn't been for the author's constant use of denial to, I guess, create romantic tension. "He was not the most handsome man she'd ever met in her life, and she was not attracted to him in the slightest." "He did not want her hands on him." I made those up (except the second one - you can find that one on the bottom of page 42), but that's basically how it went. It felt like the denials were popping up every other page, and the reasons the two of them kept focusing on for why they couldn't be together just weren't very good.First, there's Rick's fear of becoming like his father. Just the fact that he worries about it indicates that he won't - I doubt it even occurs to his father that there is anything wrong with the way he treats his family members. In addition, Rick makes time to be with his family - he is currently not like his father, and there are no indications that he is becoming like him. As far as I can tell, the only evidence he has that he has any potential of becoming like his father is that he dumped some girl because, at the time, he feared commitment. I'm sorry, but people change, and he's had time to grow up. His excuse was paper thin.Second, there's Marissa's desire never to date a career-minded corporate guy again. While I can understand her desire to avoid being used and tossed aside, she is so terribly bad at not going for Rick, "the corporate type," that it smacked of self-sabotage. Actually, it seemed to me that Marissa was guilty of some of the things she kept telling herself she didn't want in a guy - things like canceling things in her personal life so that she could put in extra time at work (even though she says she's not ambitious, that comes perilously close to living her job) and working until she nearly dropped (literally - low blood sugar!). She admired Rick's work ethic and his ability to handle the stresses of his job well. Marissa is Ms. Corporate, who just happens to be a secretary, and who happens to find the characteristics of successful corporate men sexy. I can't believe she never fell asleep during any of her dates with "ordinary" men.So, their main reasons for not being together included Rick's fear that he couldn't commit to someone and be emotionally available, and Marissa's fear that she'd be used and abandoned by yet another corporate guy. Both of these excuses don't stand up very well. The main reason they couldn't be together that kept popping up in my head but that was never mentioned by either Rick or Marissa was that he is the boss and she is his secretary. I cannot believe this never came up. Marissa may only be Rick's temporary secretary, but she's still his secretary. Even if she weren't his secretary, she still works for him indirectly, because Rick's the Big Boss of the company that employs her. How did the two of them never see this as a problem? Do things work differently in Australia?If I had to give this book a grade, I'd probably give it a C, maybe a C-. I didn't hate it, but there wasn't anything that really grabbed me. None of the minor characters stood out, the occasional humorous moments were only ok, and the reasons Rick and Marissa couldn't be together just felt stupid to me. One thing I can say for this book - I wanted a light, pleasant read, and I got one. Rick's problems with his father and Marissa's mother's sudden illness were the darkest this book got.(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)