LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Feef's House by Doranna Durgin

Feef's House - Doranna Durgin

The descriptions I've seen on Goodreads and Smashwords all led me to believe that this story would focus more on the bonding process between Shadia and Feef, one of the pets Shadia regularly took care of. That didn't turn out to be the case. While the descriptions of the various pets and their individual characteristics and needs were really interesting, not much attention was paid to any one pet, at least until the disaster. Shadia didn't seem any closer to Feef than she was to Gite or any of the other pets.

For me, this story was so-so. It was too brief to do much more than scratch the surface of anything. Shadia, a loner, is rarely shown interacting with anyone. A short paragraph described some of the gifts her clients gave her, and I found myself wishing that the story had continued, even just a bit, past the ending. I wanted to see her begin to make connections with others more. I felt like I barely got to know her, any of the pets, the space station, and the other residents of the station.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)