LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Lying in Wait
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

The Story of Saiunkoku (vol. 1) story by Sai Yukino, art by Kairi Yura

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 - Kairi Yura, Sai Yukino

My first exposure to this series was the anime, but it's been long enough ago that I saw it that I could only remember some of what happened. Even though I loved the anime, I wasn't completely sold on the manga at first. I felt it was a tad too wordy and the art seemed too busy. Also, Shurei's face occasionally looked a bit odd, like her proportions were off.

Still, the manga had enough things that I enjoyed to carry me through to the next volume. Ryuki was an odd character, with moments when he seemed innocent and naive and moments when he was very sexy. There were indications that he had hidden depths, which were possibly even more fun for me than they would have been for a newbie to the series. Shurei was practical and fairly innocent (although in slightly different ways than Ryuki), and she managed to be all those things without grating on my nerves. At this point, the story only scratched the surface of the political intrigue I knew to expect in later volumes.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)