LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Lying in Wait
Progress: 41/255 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

A BookLikes searching thing I just found out

When searching in BookLikes, whether you use "&" or "and" matters. I figured this out when I tried to find posts on "Fire & Flood" by searching for "fire and flood." The posts I wanted only came up when I searched "fire & flood."

I kind of want to sit down and figure out all the quirks in BookLikes' searching, but it reminds me a little too much of what I do at work. Maybe later.

Things I know so far:

• If you want your posts to be findable via Dashboard searching, tagging is super-important, especially if you haven't linked your post to a book. Having the appropriate words in your post's title is not good enough, because Dashboard searching does not search post titles, at least not yet.
  • Site features aren't the only things constantly being tweaked on BookLikes. Just a few short months ago, searches for 3-character words (like "wtf" or "cat") didn't work. I reported the problem, and at some point it was quietly fixed. Yay, BookLikes!

ETA: My second bullet point turns out to be the reason why "fire & flood" and "fire and flood" bring up different results. In the case of "fire & flood," I think "&" isn't being included in the search at all. "Fire and flood" treats "and" like a word, so "and" and "&" aren't seen as the same thing. I know that people don't always know how to use Boolean operators, but they're really useful to people who do. I'm kind of hoping BookLikes includes them in some kind of advanced search in the future. Another thing to add to my personal BookLikes wishlist...