LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Robert I. Sutton
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Ratin, Ratine, Ratopolis!

Adventures of the Rat Family (Aventures de la famille raton) - Jules Verne

I used to have pet rats. I collect rat things, have read many rat-related non-fiction books, and even incorporated my love of rattie things into a big college research project that eventually became my thesis.

My coworkers know this. One of them found this book in her enormous personal children's book collection and is letting me borrow it.

From the dust jacket:

The adventure takes place "in the age of fairies and magicians, and also during the time that animals talked." The whole family of rats has been magically transformed by the evil magician Gardafour and is now languishing as a family of oysters. Can Ratin, our hero, wait for Ratine, his beloved, until she is transformed to her true form once again? Can he, with the help of the fairy Firmenta, outfox Gardafour and the evil Prince Kissador, who scheme to keep the beautiful Ratine locked away forever?

With a description like this, how could I not be excited? However, flipping through it, I'm a little disappointed that there aren't more illustrations with rats in them. NEEDS MORE RATS.