LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Lying in Wait
Peter Godfrey-Smith
Progress: 41/255 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

I'm a library cataloger. I can usually look at something and guess how easy or hard it will be to catalog for my library and how good the access will be. A popular fiction novel? Yeah, that's probably going to be fairly easy (although how good the access will be is debatable). A book featuring 40 different essays by different authors? Hard. It's almost guaranteed that I'm not going to be able to make the book findable by those essay titles and essay authors. (It's both a time issue and a library system issue.)

Why am I writing about this? Well, not long ago, I decided I was going to start beefing up (meaning: build from scratch) my library's manga collection by gifting volumes from my own collection. There are a couple different ways to deal with manga in library catalogs, and I went with the method that puts all volumes in a series on one record. The first volume takes a bit of work, but every volume after that is a few clicks.

Which has made it really easy for me to justify buying more manga for myself, even if I was iffy about the earlier volumes. So tonight I bought Mixed Vegetables volume 3, even though the first two volumes were so-so. I donated the other two volumes and will be donating the third too, once I'm done with it. Because it'll only take a few clicks on my part, hardly any work at all.

I had problems reining in my manga-buying before this. Now it's just going to get worse. ::sigh::