LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Haunting of Hill House
L. Rowyn
Progress: 179/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Reading progress update: I've read 20 out of 158 pages.

SNAP! and the Alter Ego Dimension - Ann Hite Kemp

First, a general Freading update: the "reduced token cost" continues, even after your checkout expires, meaning that, if I hadn't been able to finish The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in two weeks, I could check it out again for 0 tokens. Cool.

Now, for this book. Freading's "Juvenile fiction" section includes both middle grade and young adult books, so I wasn't sure where this fell when I checked it out. It's definitely middle grade.

Some things so far:

• It's a "sucked into a computer game" story. Yay!
  • It's set in South Africa.
  • The heroine (who's 12, I think) has a boyfriend who's a jerk. He loudly points out and laughs at a zit she feels self-conscious about. Instead of telling him to get lost, she agrees to help him with an assignment. Here's hoping she eventually develops a spine.
  • Tammy, the heroine, thinks about how she hates viruses. She says that having the Internet makes her work safer from viruses (um, how?), but she hates the necessity of anti-virus software and so hasn't updated it in a while. Uh...
  • The book is illustrated. I've only come across one illustration so far, and it looks like something from a superhero comic, as interpreted by a coloring book illustrator.