LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Dinosaur Lords: A Novel
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Book sites, post-GR - my experiences so far

Debbie's post on book sites inspired me to do my own post on how my post-GR experience has been going, mostly because I started to write a super-long comment on her post and then felt weird about it, lol. So, here goes.

I'm still using a combination of BookLikes, my own blog, and LibraryThing. I cross-post all my book reviews on all three sites, do occasional reading status updates only on BookLikes, and post TV/movie reviews only on my own blog.

BookLikes has been working very, very well for me in terms of interaction with other readers, to the point that I've probably been posting more here than on my own blog. Also, I really like how easy it is to link a particular book to a post - it's one aspect of BookLikes I wish I could carry over to my Blogger blog. However, BookLikes still stinks as a personal catalog, so that's where LibraryThing comes in. My blog acts as an additional backup for my reviews, plus as a place where I can post reviews that I don't feel are appropriate for more book-oriented sites like BookLikes and LT.

For the most part, I feel like I've filled the GR hole...except in terms of reviews. GR was excellent as a place I could go to and generally be guaranteed at least a few reviews for almost any title I looked up. LibraryThing just doesn't seem to have as many reviews - plus, there's no way to zero in on just 1- or 2-star reviews. I have a feeling BookLikes might have a higher concentration of reviews, but, until they have their own database, finding everything at once for a single work and then zeroing in on just the ones I want is basically impossible.