LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Daughter of Mystery
Heather Rose Jones
Progress: 251/399 pages
50 Girls 50 and Other Stories
Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, Gary Groth
Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Tag!

I was tagged by Hopelessly Devoted Bibliophile, possessor of fabulous nails.

1. What was the last book you marked as 'Read'?

Snakecharm by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, the second book in her Kiesha'ra series.

2. What are you 'Currently Reading'?

At any given time, I'm usually reading one book in each format.

In e-format: A Lot Like a Lady by Kay Springsteen and Kim Bowman. I am determined to finish it and review it, but it's not very good.

In audio book format: The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, read by Derek Jacobi. The reader is good, but I'm having trouble staying interested in the book. I think I may be in a bit of an audio book listening slump.

In paper format: Spice & Wolf, Volume 2 by Isuna Hasekura.

3. What was the last book you marked as 'To-Read'?

The Capture by Kathryn Lasky - The Manga Geek's review made it sound interesting.

4. What book do you plan to read next?

I have no idea, since my next reads are usually based on my mood at the moment it's time for me to select something new.

In e-format, maybe The Dry by Rebecca Nolen (from a BookLikes giveaway I won) or Nine Goblins by T. Kingfisher (it has an elf veterinarian in it, and the excerpt reminded me a little of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books).

In print, maybe The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

5. Do you use the star rating system?

Yes, although mentally I'm usually using a letter grade system (A = great = 5 stars, F = terrible = 1 star).

6. Are you doing a 2014 reading challenge?

Yes. This year's goal is 125, which I will only be able to accomplish if I read a lot of manga. Not that I mind.

7. Do you have a wishlist?

Yes, although I don't usually do a good job of separating out the things I want to buy from the things I want to check out from the library.

8.What book do you want to buy next?

I just finished up a massive book-buying spree, so there isn't much left on the list. Right now, just Hatsune Miku Graphics: Vocaloid Comics and Art Volume 1 and Noragami: Stray God Vol. 1.

9. Do you have any favorite quotes?

No specific ones that I can think of.

10. Who are your favorite authors?

Mercedes Lackey (her earlier books), Tamora Pierce, Terry Pratchett, M.C.A. Hogarth, Neil Gaiman, Jordan Castillo Price, and Robin McKinley

11. Have you joined any groups?

Not on Goodreads, although I've joined a few here on BookLikes. The genre/format specific ones are Science Fiction and Fantasy Group and Manga & Anime Lovers. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be very good at the online discussion group thing - I either can't keep a conversation going or feel overwhelmed if a discussion is lively.

12. Are there any questions you'd like to add to this tag?

What's the last book you read that you really liked?

13. What are 5 of your favorite books?

Picking just 5 is hard.

Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (my ultimate comfort read)

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (first one I could think of, but nearly any Discworld book could be on this list)

14. What's your favorite genre?

At the moment, fantasy or sociological science fiction.

I tag (unless you've already done it):

Books Make Me Happy

Book Cupidity

The Librarian Owl

Wanda's Book Reviews

and whoever else wants to join in