LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
Vintage: A Ghost Story
Berman, Steve, Steve Berman
Progress: 75/154 pages
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Progress: 448/553 pages
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Taking a closer look at translators

I'm going to try be better, from here on out, about listing the name of the translator when I write reviews about translated works. Including manga, I think, although I tend to notice problems in novels more than I do in manga.

Out of curiosity, I just went through my entire Japanese novel collection (20 different series or standalone works). I had expected to see many of the same names listed over and over, but that wasn't the case. Almost every single volume (not counting multiple volumes within a single series) had a different translator. One book didn't even list a name, just a company: Translation By Design.

The only names that popped up multiple times were Alexander O. Smith and Elye J. Alexander. They worked together on The Twelve Kingdoms, published by Tokyopop, and The Guin Saga, published by Vertical. I haven't read any of The Guin Saga yet, and it's been four years since I last read any of The Twelve Kingdoms. I remember The Twelve Kingdoms being a little clunky, but better than some translations I've seen (Oh, Blood+...).