LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Terminator, With Love
Progress: 179/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Favorite fictional worlds

Jessica's post about top 5 favorite fictional characters got me to thinking about other top 5 favorites. One I've been considering for a few days now (yes, it took a few days) is my top 5 favorite fictional places. Specifically, ones I might actually choose to live in, if that were possible.

It was harder than I thought it would be. There are so many fictional worlds I like more for the characters populating them than for the worlds themselves (for example, M.C.A. Hogarth's Pelted Universe). Also, there are so many fictional worlds where there is a high likelihood of dying (or being raped - George R.R. Martin's world in his A Song of Ice and Fire series).

Here's what I finally settled on, in no particular order:

J.K. Rowling's Wizarding world from her Harry Potter series - On the plus side, this world has magic, magical creatures, Hogwarts, amazing foods, moving pictures, etc. On the minus side, it also had Voldemort. I'd want to live in the post-Voldemort wizarding world.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern - I'd be a terrible dragonrider, so I'd mostly want to live here for the opportunity to Impress a fire lizard. Thread would be a problem, though (I don't think I've read any of the post-Thread books - maybe that time would be nicer?).

Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series - This one is kind of funny. The Companions are the main reason this world is on my list, but I wouldn't actually want to be a Herald. I'd do much better as one of the Blues, I think.

Fuyumi Ono's world of the Twelve Kingdoms - This is one of my stranger choices. I love the kirin, and I love the idea of a world where, technically, sex is for recreational purposes only. Every baby, human or animal, is born from eggfruit. As I recall, marriage is required for this, but it's perfectly okay for the marriage to last only as long as is necessary for the eggfruit to be formed. It's a strange world, with some significant drawbacks (like the possibility that free will doesn't exist), but I love it anyway.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (specifically Lyra's world) - Because of the daemons. I can't help but wonder what sort of animal my daemon would be.

Three out of five of these worlds are on the list because of fantasy animal companions. I'm not at all surprised. :)