LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (Pushkin Vertigo)
Shika MacKenzie, Soji Shimada, Ross MacKenzie
Progress: 102/316 pages
The Bishop's Pawn (A Marc Edwards Mystery Book 7)
Don Gutteridge
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 53 out of 420 pages.

Herb-Witch - Elizabeth McCoy

There was this one story I read in one of my German classes. I thought I'd try to save time by just reading it straight through without looking up any words I didn't know. Maybe I could figure out their meaning from the context. My reading experience went something like this:

"There's a death! A corpse? Wait, that guy earlier was a priest? What???" ::flips back a few pages to reread stuff that now makes a tiny bit more sense::

Reading this feels much the same way. Queen of Roses had similar problems, but they weren't as pronounced, I think because there wasn't as much in the way of unfamiliar terminology (ETA: and it worked better with the mystery aspects?). I keep finding out the meaning of words well past the point when I first needed those meanings. Then I either have to flip back to reread bits, which I hate doing in e-books, or keep going.

For example, I just figured out that the gray watch group mentioned 20 or so pages earlier had actually been threatening Kessa, the herb-witch main character, with serious property damage. I also just realized that a "dramsman" is essentially a slave, someone made utterly loyal via a loyalty potion. These people have been mentioned all over the place, and I had thought it was a generic term for "worker" up until now.