LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Jennifer deWinter, Carly A. Kocurek, Anastasia Salter
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've listened to 2 out of 10 discs.

Cleopatra's Moon - Vicky Alvear Shecter, Kirsten Potter

"What if...what if I command you to stay?" I asked,* lifting my chin. "I can do that!"

Okay, so I haven't abandoned this book yet, but it's still pretty boring. There is action...but it's all off-page, because Cleopatra Selene is still only 9 or 10 and is barely aware of what's going on. Euginia, her lady's maid (or whatever she's called), has just told her that she's leaving. Things are not looking good, a possibility Selene never considered because her parents are as gods in her eyes, and Euginia's parents want her to be somewhere safe.

I desperately wish this story were told from the perspective of an adult, because Selene is so self-centered and largely blind to a lot of what's going on around her. At the part that I quoted, I had to remind myself that she's just a spoiled little girl, and I probably shouldn't dislike her so much because it's not her fault. But so far I do dislike her.

I'm not a religious person myself, but I was not happy with the bit where Selene, a 9-year-old girl, asked a rabbi difficult questions about his faith and the best he could do was sputter and become flustered. It was a scene designed entirely to make Selene look clever, and all I could think was "Seriously? This man has never dealt with questions like these before?"

-----

* Note: This quote is from Google Books scans. The narrator's words are "I said" instead of "I asked." I went with "I asked" because it's more correct and, I'm guessing, what the text originally said. Now I'm wondering if there are other places where the audiobook differs slightly from the print book, and whether this happens often in audiobooks.