LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Haunting of Hill House
L. Rowyn
Progress: 179/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

You've Got Murder - Donna Andrews The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel - 'Joshua Piven',  'David Borgenicht' Cleopatra's Moon - Vicky Alvear Shecter, Kirsten Potter Be With You - Terry Gallagher, Takuji Ichikawa Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan  Cain Blood+ Volume 1: First Kiss (Novel) (v. 1) - Ryo Ikehata The Dry - Rebecca Nolen Herb-Wife - Elizabeth McCoy

Clearly my "currently reading" list is out of control. My attention span kind of sucks at the moment. Here's how things have been going so far:

You've Got Murder - Donna Andrews - I started rereading this last night, inspired by Elizabeth McCoy's Queen of Roses. I got it via Open Library - this time around, instead of checking out an error-riddled EPUB version, I'm going with PDF. Getting the book to open took several minutes, and the initial page turns were slow, but things improved. As far as the book goes: it's a cozy mystery starring an artificial intelligence named Turing Hopper. Although Andrews' approach to Turing makes for a smoother story, I kind of prefer McCoy's more clearly "not human" Sarafina.

The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel - 'Joshua Piven', 'David Borgenicht' - I actually started to panic a little, while reading the chapter on how to crash land a small plane on water. Thankfully, most of this stuff will likely never happen to me.

Cleopatra's Moon - Vicky Alvear Shecter,Kirsten Potter - So boring. And Selene doesn't sound the slightest bit like a 9-11 year old - not just the narrator, but the writing itself. Yesterday I listened to music so as to avoid this book, so I should probably DNF it. I feel a little guilty about that, though, because I think I might have been the one who asked that my library buy it.

Be With You - Takuji Ichikawa,Terry Gallagher - The translation is smooth - such a relief. I would describe the story and its narrator as being quiet, timid, and a little odd.

Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan Cain - I'm so bad with nonfiction. I finished the first chapter or two really quickly and haven't picked up the book since. I should probably try the book again later.

Blood+ Volume 1: First Kiss (Novel) (v. 1) - Ryo Ikehata - I could open this book up to any random point and find horrible writing/translation. It's gotten to where I've stopped writing down oddly worded sentences, because there are just too many of them. Still, it's interesting to see Okinawa and the U.S. military presence there entirely from the perspective of Okinawans.

The Dry - Rebecca Nolen - I've been stalled on this for a while, too. It's not a bad book so far, but I don't seem to be in quite the right mood for it.

ETA:

Herb-Wife - Elizabeth McCoy - Whoops, forgot one. I got sidetracked while reading this and haven't managed to turn my attention back to it. Like I said, attention span issues.