LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Who?
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Book shopping!

I had today off, so I decided to go Big City Used Bookstore shopping. I didn't realize until I got there that they had a Labor Day weekend sale going on, so I bought a little more than I originally intended. And then I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a bit more (but not much more - either they didn't have the books I wanted, or the things I wanted were too expensive).

For those who are interested, here's what I ended up with, minus a few series volumes:

Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay  - I've been wanting to read this for ages, but, considering its length, checking it out via ILL didn't seem wise. I looked for this book every time I went used book shopping, and I finally found a copy!

Crimson Empire Vol 1: Circumstances to Serve a Noble - QuinRose,Hazuki Futaba - I know nothing about this series, except that the artist is one of the Alice in the Country of artists.

Hikaru no Go, Vol. 1: Descent of the Go Master - Yumi Hotta,Takeshi Obata - I love this series. I even played Go a little because of it.

Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 2 - Sakura Tsukuba - I've read the whole series and enjoyed it, although I remember it getting a little weird at the end. I already owned the first volume and was able to pick up a few more today. Depending on how I like the series on a reread, I might keep them or I might donate them to my library.

Angel Nest - Erica Sakurazawa & Erica Sakurazawa: Angel - Erica Sakurazawa  - I don't know if her works will be to my taste, but I've wanted to try her stuff ever since I worked on a read-alikes list for Tramps Like Us. It'll be interesting to try more josei manga.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks - This has been on my TBR for a while. Here's hoping that owning a copy means I'll actually read it sometime in the next couple years.

Fire - Kristin Cashore - Ditto. I loved Graceling but still haven't read this.

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent - Marie Brennan - Dragons! This one has also been on my TBR list for a while.

The Blood of Ten Chiefs - Richard Pini,Lynn Abbey,Robert Lynn Asprin,Mark C. Perry,C.J. Cherryh,Janny Wurts,Allen L. Wold,Nancy Springer,Diana L. Paxson,Diane Carey - Does anyone besides me remember Elfquest? I can't remember if my first non-superhero graphic novel obsession was Sandman or Elfquest, but I do remember devouring everything related to this series that I could find. If I read this, though, I can't remember.

Stranded - Anne Bishop;Anthony Francis;James Alan Gardner - Anne Bishop wrote a sci-fi novella. I had no idea.

A Confusion of Princes - Garth Nix - I loved Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy but haven't read many of his other books. It was cheap, so I figured why not? (Shelf space, that's why. But that's hindsight speaking.)

Rocket Racoon & Groot Prose Novel - Marvel Comics - Rocket Racoon and Groot were my favorite characters in the movie, so I'm hoping for good scenes featuring those two.

Dogs: Prelude, Vol. 0 - Shirow Miwa - I have no clue what this series is like, beyond a few clips I've seen from the anime. Here's hoping I enjoy it.