LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Jennifer deWinter, Carly A. Kocurek, Anastasia Salter
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

A gift from ILL - Self-Reference Engine by Toh EnJoe

Self-Reference ENGINE - Toh Enjoe

I thought the writing/translation in Be With You was smooth and blessedly easy to follow compared to some translations of Japanese novels I've seen. Terry Gallagher also translated this, which was one of the big reasons why I requested it. I'm looking forward to it. The few reviews I've read say it's quirky, funny, and weird.

The back cover says:

Instructions for Use: Read chapters in order. Contemplate the dreams of twenty-two dead Freuds. Note your position in space-time at all times (and spaces). Keep an eye out for a talking bobby sock named Bobby Socks. Beware the star-man Alpha Centauri. Remember that the chapter entitled "Japanese" is translated from the Japanese, but should be read in Japanese. Warning: if reading this book on the back of a catfish statue, the text may vanish at any moment, and you may forget that it ever existed.

I really hope the actual book makes more sense than its description.