LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

An Extraordinary Union
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Mad Love Chase (manga, vol. 1) by Kazusa Takashima, translated and adapted by Katherine Schilling

Mad Love Chase, Volume 1 - Kazusa Takashima

This was stupid. But also kind of fun. I'm having trouble understanding how Takashima managed to squeeze five volumes out of the premise, though. Since I own the whole series, I guess I'll get to find out.

Kaito, the prince of the demon realm, desperately does not want to marry his fiancee. He has hated her ever since she stood by while his beloved kitty Rebun almost drowned. Kaito opted to escape his impending marriage by traveling to the human world, where he ended up in a smaller, slighter human body, while Rebun ended up in the body of a full-grown human woman.

Kaito, now going by the name Kujou, isn't completely free yet, however. His father has sent three demons, Touma, Souya, and Taiki, after him. It's a good thing that they're mostly idiots. Souya has the hots for Haga, the school nurse, not realizing that she's actually Rebun, and Taiki is best friends with Kujou and thinks he's 100% human. Touma is smart enough to suspect Kujou's true identity, but the only way the three can know for sure that they've found their target is if Kujou has the prince's tattoo on his back. This, of course, means that they need to somehow strip his shirt off.

That's what this entire volume was devoted to: people trying to strip Kujou's shirt off and failing, mostly because Taiki was not very bright and was super-protective of his friend. And also because Rebun was awesome and one of the series' few intelligent characters. I loved Rebun. She took no crap from anyone, had no problems with using Taiki as a weapon, and was adorable in her kitty form.

I'd probably have liked this volume more if it hadn't been so hard to follow sometimes. The artwork and text placement were occasionally confusing. For example, I thought Zezelle, Kaito's nanny, was actually Taiki. It took me a bit to realize that 1) she was a completely different character (although there were indications that the similarity was intentional) and 2) she was actually a woman. That was also when I realized that an earlier scene, in which Kujou asked out a burly member of the girls' judo club, was not a joke about Kujou accidentally asking out the wrong person, but rather a joke that played on readers' expectations about who he was attracted to.

This series is going to get old fast if the jokes keep relying on “the idiots failed to take Kujou's shirt off” and misunderstandings about Kujou and Taiki's sexuality (several students assume they're a gay couple, which didn't stop one girl from aggressively pursuing Taiki). Still, for now it's an okay series, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Rebun.

Extras:

Two four-panel gag comics, a four-page comic-style afterword by the author, and four pages of rough sketches of the characters from back when the series was in its planning stages.

The original plan for Rebun's cat form was even more adorable than what Takashima finally settled on. Also, it sounded like Takashima pieced jokes and details together on the fly, which may explain why the story is so crazy. That, and she went through at least three editors during the course of the series.

Rating Note:

I was torn on what rating to use. I liked Rebun a lot, but this really was fairly stupid. I decided to give it 3 stars (C grade) rather than 3.5 stars (C+) because I doubt I'd be reading more than this first volume if I didn't already own the rest of the series.

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)