LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 448/553 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 33 out of 242 pages.

Happy Snak - Nicole Kimberling

I have a library book that's due soon, but instead I'm reading this. Bad me. Anyway, so far it's kind of weird. The main character, Gaia, is the owner of a snack shop in the human part of an alien space station. The Kishocha initiated first contact but have generally been reluctant to have much contact beyond that, except for Kenjan, who died in Gaia's snack shop at the beginning of the book.

Kenjan's servant, Wave Walker, narrates an informational video about the Kishocha. So far, I think Wave is adorable. And a little like the host of a children's show:

“The six levels of Kishocha are like this: divinity, structure, priest, soldier, servant and cleaner. Divinity is the highest rank. The divine have a very hard job. They sing the prayers that move the currents of the sea and the currents of the wind. They dance the sacred motions that invoke gravitation. They are closest to the god, and most holy, and most important. On A-Ki Station there is only one divine Kishocha, and that is Oziru. Remember that we must all bow down in supplication to Oziru. Without Oziru, we would be lost and sick with no hope and die. Let’s all say, ‘Thank you, Oziru! We love you!’ Okay, go!” Wave held its hand up to its ear, as though waiting for a response from the imaginary audience.

“Thank you, Oziru. We love you,” Fitzpatrick whispered.

Wave continued.

Fitzpatrick's watching the video, by the way.